NARS or KIKO? It’s a high street or drugstore kinda question.
I received 2 limited edition NARS Velvet eyeshadow sticks as press samples from the new Bord de Plage Collection. While I was happily testing, I came across KIKO Long Lasting Eye Shadow Sticks, which had an identical look and feel to Nars.
Now here’s what I think of both these products:
- Pigment – While KIKO was strong yet buildable, shimmery shades like #36 and #07 lacked intensity. NARS Corfu & Dark Angel had very intense pigment.
- Texture – Both are soft, creamy and glides easily. Set very quickly and doesn’t budge. However, when I tried rubbing hard, KIKO eyeshadow particles slowly started to come off while NARS stayed out.
- Finish – NARS Corfu & KIKO shades have a beautiful satin finish whereas Dark Angel was a velvety matte.
- Longevity – Nars stayed put for 8+ hours without eye primer as well as KIKO #04 (dark brown). Light metallic shades of KIKO (#07 & 36) faded after 2-3 hours.
- Shades – KIKO has a vast range compared to NARS.
- Packaging – is strikingly similar in black matte plastic packaging with a retractable pencil.
- Application – glides on without tugging and needing to use lots of pressure
Whilst there are few striking similarities, intense pigment, fool, budge & crease-proof and long-lasting power is the deciding factor for me to choose NARS. KIKO metallic shades didn’t live up to the 8-hour mark. Having said, compared to NARS limited collection, KIKO has an extensive range of shades (most are dupes of high-end brands) and that too at a very affordable price point. If you are on a budget & don’t mind re-applying then KIKO would be the ideal choice. If you are like me sticking to quality, perfection and fool-proof abilities, I cannot recommend NARS enough.